Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tri-ing to Train

Heya my bloggity blog blog friends! How is everyone doing? Me, well, I'm freaking POOPED! I know I was supposed to post a snippet of my training last week, but you'll understand why I didn't when I actually post it now, LOL!

So, for this week this is the low down on the training madness:

  • Monday - bike 9 miles (I got about 11 in during spin class)
  • Tuesday - Swim 650 yds, then walk/run intervals for 35 minutes (today was 2:30w/4:30r) then 5 min walking to cool down
  • Wednesday - bike 9 miles (I will get about 11 in during spin class)
  • Thursday - Swim 650 yds, then walk/run intervals for 35 minutes (2:30w/4:30r) then 5 min walking to cool down
  • Friday off
  • Saturday - Swim 650 yds, then bike 9 miles
  • Sunday - walk/run intervals for 50 minutes

And next week, it looks like this...

  • Monday - bike 15 miles
  • Tuesday - Swim 700 yds, then walk/run intervals for 35 minutes (today was 2:30w/4:30r) then 5 min walking to cool down
  • Wednesday - bike 9 miles (I will get about 11 in during spin class)
  • Thursday - Swim 700 yds, then walk/run intervals for 35 minutes (2:30w/4:30r) then 5 min walking to cool down
  • Friday - off
  • Saturday - Swim 700 yds, then bike 9 miles
  • Sunday - walk/run intervals for 50 minutes

Pretty brutal, and it will increase in intensity each week until the race. Some days it's all I can do to get through it, but I'm seeing progress. but I just HATE, LOATHE, DETEST, and DESPISE running. I've never been good at it, but I'm doing it because I have to, LOL... And actually to be honest, I don't hate it quite as bad as I did when this whole assenine adventure started. Back then on a scale of 1 to 10, my hatred pegged out at a 15. But now, several weeks into it, I'm down to about an 11 out of 10, so you see, we are making progress, LOL. Maybe even one day I will even... dare I say... LIKE IT?

Ok, so you guys want to hear something hysterically funny? I must warn you that your mind's eye is going to be scarred, LOL..

So last week - on Tuesday I think, my water bottle leaked a little into my gym bag, so I had to run with wet britches. See that's how dedicated I am... the old me would have chalked that up to another perfect reason to skip training, LOL. But I pressed forward, despite the mild irritation, LOL. Afterwards, I showered and went to get dressed, but lo and behold, apparently that water bottle leaked way more than I had originally thought. My jeans were SOAKED, right in the crotch area! And they weren't just damp, lol, so I was standing there in the Y locker room with a hair dryer at the crotch of my pants to try to dry them enough to wear them. 20 minutes later I just gave up and wore them, slightly damp, and just walked around like I had a soggy diaper on for a couple of hours, LOL. I learned my lesson and don't shove my water bottles down into my gym bag prior to training any more, LOL.

But that's not the FUNNIEST. I have my favoritest most comfy pair of shorts that I love to train in, cause they just move "with me". I usually bike in them, but on Thursday I wore them to run in. And, well... does the phrase "rising to the occasion" mean anything to you all? Imagine trying to run while trying to grab your shorts back from the starving jaws of your thighs every freaking 30 seconds! That got old real fast, so I just gave up and ran through it - disappearing shorts and all. Of course it was a little uncomfy at first, but the longer I ran, I was less concerned about the hide-n-seek game my shorts and thighs were playing and more concerned with not crashing and burning on the treadmill, LOL. Anyway, after I was done running, I finally snatched my britches out of my bum for good, got my stretching in, and hit the showers. Now here is the good part... close your eyes for a second, and think of how wonderful a nice hot shower feels when you've just worked yourself half to death coupled by the sense of accomplishment you get from pushing yourself to the limits (without your heart exploding). Pretty amazing feeling, isn't it?! Right up until the moment that wonderfully hot water mixed with body wash trickles down and finally runs over your extremely irritated thighs which have been chapped RAW from the last two training mishaps involving the shorts. In that split second, I went from floating on cloud 9 in Heaven to plummeting into the hottest fires in Hades... HOLY FREAKING CRAP! Now picture this... I'm butt-naked in the shower, hopping up and down, dancing around grabbing my thighs, screaming like a cat with his tail under the rocking chair, "OW OW OW OW OW!!!" All I can say is thank our Lord in Heaven for shower curtains and the fact that no one else was in any of the adjacent shower stalls! Thankfully my nether region is healing nicely, and I've put real running shorts on the shopping list! To HECK with the rule that only Barbie dolls can wear spandex... I make my OWN RULES NOW HAHAHAHA!

1 comment:

  1. OMG Shelley, I did not know if I should laugh, commiserate or laugh louder! I nearly got the same part of my jeans wet that you had reading your post! I do want to say that you are amazing for doing this training and taking it so seriously! Kuddos to you!

    ReplyDelete