Sunday, November 25, 2012

Fall Means It's Crochet Time, Folks!

Well Hello, everyone!  It sure has been a long time since I've posted, hasn't it?!  I can't even begin to tell you all about the life that has gotten in the way over the last year ... you wouldn't believe me if I tried, LOL!  The Reader's Digest version is that I turned 40, my middle child joined the Army, and I seem to have had one health issue after another, including a nasty bout with impetigo (or as I like to call it my bout with Flesh Eating Diesease) on my face which landed me in the hospital.  Gross, huh!

But with all the down time, I've had plenty of time to get back to crocheting - something I haven't done in a very long time!  I've been on a kick of making shrug sweaters and hats lately - mainly because they are fast projects, and y'all know I'm an instant gratification kinda girl :).  With my daughter now active duty Army, and my sone going to be in just a few months, I've been drawing alot of inspiration from my status as a military mom.  Here's a little beanie I whipped up - it's the first pattern I created on my own.  The green, black, and grey colors all represent Army colors, and the two rows of circles represent the wonderful circles of friends I've found within the Army mom communities.  I finished it off with a little ruffle instead of a traditional cuff (which makes it look like an old granny had according to my college student daughter... but what does she know!).

 
One of the Army moms ordered one of these ruffled beanies with only 1 row of circles (in white), so here's a picture of the one I made for her:


If you want to order one for yourself or as a gift for a military mom, grandma, sister, aunt or daughter that you know, please let me know - they whip up pretty quickly and are a steal at $22, which includes the shipping!

If you want to whip one up for yourself, I've done my best to write out the pattern.  If you notice something not written out properly, please do share your feedback!  But remember, be kind since it's my first pattern :)

Circle of Friends Ruffled Beanie (2 Rows of circles)
I used worsted weight yarn in 3 colors (A, B, & C) and hooks sized H and G.
Start with Color A and H hook.

Ch2
Row 1 - 6sc in 2nd ch from hook, sl st to join in 1st sc.  Ch1.
Row 2 - 2sc in each sc. Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1. (12 st)
Row 3 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (18 st)
Row 4 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next 2sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (24 st)
Row 5 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next 3sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (30 st)
Row 6 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next 4sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (36 st)
Row 7 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next 5sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (42 st)
Row 8 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next 6sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (48 st)
Row 9 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next 7sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (54 st)
Row 10 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next 8sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (60 st)
Row 11 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next 9sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (66 st)
Row 12 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next 10sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (72 st)
Row 13 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next 11sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (78 st)
Row 14 - *2sc in 1st sc, 1sc in next 12sc*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (84 st)
Row 15-17 - sc in each sc, all the way around.  Sl st to join in ch1.  Ch1 (84 st)
Row 18 - *dc in next 3sc, sc in next sc, sl st in next 2sc, sc in next sc*, repeat from * all the way around until last 7 st.  Dc in next 3sc, sc in next sc, sl st in next 2sc.  Sl st to join in ch1. Change to color B and ch1
Row 19 - Sl st in all stitches around.  Sl to join.  Ch1 (84 st)
Row 20 - *Sl st in 3sl st, 1 sc in next sl st, dc in next 2sl st, 1sc in sl st*, repeat from * all the way around until last 7 st.  Sl st in next 3 sl st, 1 sc in next sl st, dc in next 2 sl st, skip 1sl st, sl st in ch1 to join.Ch1. Place stitch marker in loop on hook.
Row 21 - *Sl st in 3sl st, 1 sc in next sc, dc in next 2dc, 1sc in next sc*, repeat from * all the way around until last 7 st.  Sl st in next 3 sl st, 1 sc in next sc, dc in next 2dc.  Sl st in next sl st to join.  Change to color C.  Ch1
Row 22 - Sl st in all stitches around. Sl to join. Ch1 (84 st)
Row 23 - *Dc in next 3 sl st, sc in next sl st, sl st in next 2sl st, sc in next sl st*, repeat from * all the way around until last 7 st.  Dc in next 3sl st, sc in next sl st, sl st in next 2sl st, sl st in ch1 to join.  Ch1
Row 24 - *Dc in next 3dc, sc in next sc, sl st in next 2 sl st, sc in next sc*, repeat from * all the way around until last 7 st.  Dc in next 3dc, sc in next sc, sl st in next 2 sl st, sl st in ch1 to join.  Change to color A.  Ch1
Row 25 - Sl st in all stitches around. Sl to join. Ch1 (84 st)
Row 26 - *Sl st in next 3sl st, sc in next sl st, dc in next 2 sl st, sc in next sl st*, repeat from * all the way around until last 7 st.  Sl st in next 3sl st, sc in next sl st, dc in next 2sl st, sl st in ch1 to join. Ch1
Rows 27-30 - sc in each st around.  sl st in ch1 to join. Ch1.  Switch to G hook.
Row 31 - turn, and using back loop all the way around, sc all the way around.  Sl st in ch1 to join.  Ch1
Row 32 - *sc in next sc, ch2*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st in ch1 to join.  Ch1.
Row 33 - *sc in next sc, ch2, sc in next ch2 space, ch2*, repeat from * all the way around.  Sl st in ch1 to join.  Bind off.  Weave in loose yearn ends and voila!

Again, if you try out the pattern, please share your feedback!

Happy Crafting, everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment